Family Information Service
The Family Information Service (FIS) provides free, impartial information and advice on a wide range of services for children and young people, birth to 19 (25 years who have SEND and or disability), parents and families, including childcare, leisure and holiday activities. It runs a telephone helpline and drop-in service from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm and provides an outreach service in a variety of settings and at events. They also manage and maintain the Tower Hamlets Local Offer.
The Local Offer
Local Offer is an online resource available to everyone. It sets out in one place information on services for children, young people and families in Tower Hamlets. There are factsheets, useful links, videos and an online directory of all available services. The site was developed in consultation with parents, professionals and young people.
- Details on all registered childcare in the borough, including childminders, pre-school play groups, before and after school clubs, holiday play schemes
- Brokerage service where family information officers can find suitable childcare options to meet the needs of the child and family
Leisure and holiday activities
- Things to do and places to go at the weekends and the holidays
- Holiday activities for children young people
- Parents and toddlers groups, swimming classes, youth service, adventure playgrounds and libraries
Parenting support, information and advice for mums, dads, lone parents, new parents and parents-to-be. Advice on how to access services with regard to parenting skills.
Special educational needs and disabilities
Signposting and information on support for birth to 25 year old with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)
Family Information Service offers a free brokerage service to all parents and carers who are looking for childcare. The broker acts as a middle person, helping, advising, searching and maybe negotiating on your behalf to help you find the childcare you need. This could be when you are looking for long term childcare or if you need short term, emergency or ad hoc childcare. Please note that the Childcare Brokerage service does not offer free childcare or provide funding towards childcare.
The Family Information Service operates a telephone helpline and drop-in service from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. To find out more please call us on 020 7364 6495 or email.
Address: Family Information Service
30 Greatorex Street