Transition Support Service
The Transition Support Service is provided by Tower Hamlets Parent and Family Support Service. It provides independent and impartial advice to all service users.
We provide advice and information at key points of transition and support parents with applications for nursery and reception places, secondary transfer for Year 5 and Year 6, mid-term admissions as well as admission and exclusion appeals.
In addition we support families at times of change and difficulty, providing information and guidance on a range of issues including exclusion and bullying.
The Transition Support Service is available to all parents and carers including:
• new arrivals into the borough
• parents and carers with learning difficulties/disabilities
• parents with English as an additional language
• families who find the admissions process difficult to navigate
Parents and carers can self-refer themselves to access 1-2-1 support. Professionals can also refer with the consent of parent/carer.
We will help parents and carers to:
• find out about schools that will best suit their child’s needs
• find out more about admission policies for different types of schools
• apply for a nursery/reception place at a primary school
• navigate the secondary admission process, e.g. offering assistance when completing application forms for both Tower Hamlets and out-of-borough schools
• help with online applications
• visit schools
• provide independent advice about schools in Tower Hamlets
• advise and support with In-year applications
• support and advise around the exclusion process
• support through the admission appeals process
Parents and carers can also visit the weekly drop-in session on Tuesdays from 9:30am-3:30pm at Parents Advice Centre (PAC), 30 Greatorex Street, London E1 5NP, term time only.