Children with Disabilities
The Integrated Services for children and young people with disabilities provide services for children who have severe learning and/or physical disabilities, children within the autistic spectrum and children who have a multi-sensory impairment.
The CWD Team is part of the Integrated Service and works with families. Services are regularly reviewed to ensure that they are meeting the needs of young people and their families.
The team can arrange practical support, personal care in the home, short breaks, direct payments, counselling and residential services and can also put carers in touch with other specialist organisations.
Following an assessment, the team will look at what kind of support can be offered. This might include:
• health services such as speech, occupational therapy or physiotherapy
• help with understanding your child’s needs and feelings as well as yours
• parenting support
• carers needs
• short breaks
• behaviour and sleep management
To request an assessment of a child with a disability and in need of targeted or specialist support, contact the team on 020 7364 2724. Referrals can also be made to the team by professionals working with children and young people with disabilities.
Personal Care - in order to receive personal care services from the CWD team, or payments which will allow families to purchase their own personal care, families need to contact the team for an assessment. An assessment will determine if children with disabilities need:
• Personal assistance with dressing and moving around.
• Personal hygiene: help with showering, bathing, hair washing, oral hygiene.
• Food and diet: assistance with eating food.
• Medical treatment: help with taking medication.
• Continence movement: help with toileting, skin care, bed changing.