The Cochlear Implanted Children's Support Group
The CICS Group was set up to help families, wherever they are, whose children are so deaf that they do not derive sufficient benefit from conventional hearing aids. The vast majority of these children will be suitable for a cochlear implant, a surgically implanted device that, with the right support, and assuming they have no other significant disabilities, will enable them to learn to listen and to develop intelligible speech.
Established in 1993 and registered as a charity in May 2003, CICS is an entirely voluntary group run by parents who recognise that there is no one approach that will suit all children. The Group is independent and relies entirely on donations, grants, and fundraising efforts to cover expenses.
CICS is the only national voluntary charity for families considering a cochlear implant for their deaf child, and for those already implanted – there is no geographic barrier to membership.
• CICS offers; contact, information and support based on first-hand experience
• Puts families in touch with others who have relevant experiences to share, eg cause of deafness, additional needs, method of communication, educational provision
• Provides a quarterly newsletter to members
• Organises a regular information day
• Arranges social events for the whole family
Our events are advertised to members and take place at various locations and times.