New City College Group (Arbour Square)
New City College Tower Hamlets SEND offer a range of courses for students aged 16 – 99 with special educational needs or disabilities that will help to develop their life skills, employment, community inclusion, self-advocacy and promote healthy living. All courses are design our courses on students’ needs with individualised progression routes to help each student to achieve their goals.
For young people between 16 – 24, with an EHCP, we offer courses for up to 4 days, 18 hours a week over the academic year.
Students will have access to the following support provision*:
· Reduced class sizes
· In-class learning mentor support
· Lunch and break time supervision
· Support with transport if necessary
· Personal care
· 1:1 support
· Learning zone (drop-in areas)
· Assistive technology including up to date IT software
· Exam access arrangements
· Mental Health Advisor
· Small group support
*Support will be personalised based on students’ needs which will be agreed during initial interviews and updated in Annual reviews or within year if circumstances change*
Learners can progress on to the next level in foundation learning or into mainstream vocational courses in the college. This will be discussed with parents and students during parents evenings and in annual reviews.
• English – Entry level to GCSE
• Maths – Entry level to GCSE
• Enterprise – working together, planning, finances and running a business
• Work experience – supported and independent
• Independent Living Skills – shopping, cooking and managing money
• Out in the Community – travel training, personal safety and time management
• Healthy living – healthy eating, lifestyle and sports
• Vocational taster sessions in IT, catering, and carpentry
• Enrichment and visits
Many of our students learn how to travel to college independently and also gain valuable experience in running commercial enterprises like Café 24, in a safe and realistic work environment. Our supported internship programme offers an employment pathway for young people seeking a route into paid work.
If you are 24+ we offer a part-time, modular programme for adults with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities at Tower Hamlets College. It follows the Department for Education’s Preparing for Adulthood curriculum which enables students of all levels to progress beyond college towards personalised and meaningful outcomes.
Sessions are taught by experienced, specialist teachers and are supported by Learning Mentors who can also offer support at break and lunch times (but students will also learn the skills they need to become independent). There are further opportunities to study English and Maths in small, supported groups and to take an externally accredited qualification.
• Independent Living Skills
• Health and Wellbeing
• Community Engagement
• IT and Media
• English/ Maths
• Out and About
• Work Experience
• Healthy Living
• Travel Training
• Work Experience