Suitable for ages
Age of Users
Children and young people from five to 16 years old must by law receive an education that is suited to their needs. Children who attend schools and centres within Tower Hamlets must, by law, attend regularly and on time.
Tower Hamlets Council has an attendance and welfare service which works with pupils up to the age of 16, alongside schools, parents, carers and other public services and voluntary agencies. The service aims to improve school attendance, reduce truancy and to ensure that children fully benefit from education that is provided in Tower Hamlets. The attendance and welfare advisors have specialised qualifications and are often experienced professionals specialising in children's education.
Liaising with parents and carers
The attendance and welfare service speaks to parents and carers if there is concern about a pupil's attendance at school that has not been resolved by direct contact between home and school. When discussing pupils with parents the service will do the following:
The Key Priorities of the Attendance 7 Welfare service are:
• To help parents, schools and the local authority (LA) meet their statutory obligations on schools attendance.
• To assist schools in promoting high levels of attendance and punctuality
• To enforce school attendance on behalf of the LA
• To advice on child protection matters
• To regulate child entertainment and employment and to work in partnership with parents, schools and other agencies and professionals to secure and safeguard the wellbeing of children.
Attendance & Welfare Advisors and School Social Workers (if purchased by the school) undertake work in their allocated schools. They meet with parents and pupils in school, at the pupil’s homes and at the office or other venues as appropriate. In addition to casework, information and advice sessions and workshops are undertaken with pupils and parents. Staff members also participate in the running of parenting courses in schools.
|Monday||From 09:00||To 17:00|
|Tuesday||From 09:00||To 17:00|
|Wednesday||From 09:00||To 17:00|
|Thursday||From 09:00||To 17:00|
|Friday||From 09:00||To 17:00|